Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

20 Minute Build for Memory Player Nirvana

Gang, As posted on Computer Audiophile yesterday.

I have been toying with getting a new computer for use at shows and stuff. I was thinking it would be cool to get a Mac Air but the preformance had me a little leary.

So make my own but better....

I scored a new MacBook 2.4GHZ/2BG off ebay for $1100. I then got 4gb of memory for $100 and then I scored a Samsung SSD 64GB SATA2 drive for $600. Believe me the Samsung is worth it! It's fastest damn drive I have ever used.

Ok step one make sure the original works. Boot up check stuff ok...

1) unplug, remove battery, remove L bracket to expose the memory and drive.
2) pop out the old memory plug in the new.
3) pop out the old drive, take off the protective sleeve put it on the new drive and pop the drive in. I could have done this in 15 minutes but did not have the correct star driver to take off the protective sleve.
4) battery and power supply connected power up. Hold C down put in the install DVD.
5) format drive, partition for boot.
6) install the OS and software.

Just to give you idea of the speed here... typical raw install takes about 1:50. It was done in less than 35 minutes.

I will report back but really at $1800 or the Price on standard sata drive 1.6GHZ Mac Air. This thing will run circles around it. Albeit not as cute!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The damn system runs circles around everything else I have. The current draw on this drive is so much less that the laptop runs cooler drawing less power and therefore less noise.

Battery usage is easily 50%... I went on 4 hours yesterday downloading stuff with the display on full and battery was at 63%.

This is really cool...

Thanks
Gordon

J. Gordon Rankin

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Topic - 20 Minute Build for Memory Player Nirvana - Gordon Rankin 07:57:07 05/16/08 (25)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.