Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Re: DVDR pros and cons

I use DVDR to back up my APE files.

I've found the size an 'average' (say, 500MB / 60 mins) CD compresses to varies hugely, how 'loud' the disc is has a major bearing. Older albums and classical titles will compress at 2:1, so an 'average' disc of about (around 60 mins/500MB) will come in at less than 300MB.

'Loud' (ie compressed) modern pop/rock/jazz titles of similar length will often be closer to 400MB.

Partly because I avoid these generally horrible sounding discs, most of my CD's seem to end up at about 300MB with the 'standard' preset in Monkey's audio, so I get 14-15 on each DVDR.

Caveat is the yet-to-be-known life of DVDR. I use branded ones and keep them in the light-tight 'book-shelf' type cases that most DVD-Videos use.

Also I know from experience that they are not nearly as robust, or fault-tolerent as some might think. Although DVD has much more thorough error detection and recovery than CDROM, a scratch on the wrong part of the disc can prevent them from 'mounting' (your computer won't see the disc), so they have to be handled with the utmost care.

It's also a good idea to periodically 'verify data' (say every 10 or so discs)on a DVDR straight after it's burned, if only to be sure your writer is still 100%. Alternatvely you can copy a couple of tracks straight back to HD and run Foobar2000's 'bit-compare' on the original and backup versions.

R.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: DVDR pros and cons - agnostic 06:03:55 10/29/04 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.