Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Re: Another Vinyl to iPod question (repost from Vinyl Asylum)

Hi,
I do not own an iPod, but re. your second question I have had a test setup for some time, learning how to do vinyl transfers to digital. I use a M-Audio Transit for AD to USB to a 500MHz laptop.
The most difficult was actually to find a good recording software that did not use all the CPU power while recording and having the necessesary functionality. After trying maybe 100 (!)different programs I settled for CdWave http://www.cdwave.com. This is by far the best PC app I've found for recording from analog/vinyl to HighRez LPCM. It is very easy to split the resulting wav into tracks and saving standard format .CUE sheet that can be read by players like Foobar2000 etc. The program has support for 24bit, is small in size, very fast and uses very little CPU. And it is Shareware, only $15 with secure on-line purchase.
I use a passive volume control between my phono stage and the line input of the Transit. The digital recording level should be set to full, ie. no attenuation in the digital domain, to use full digital resolution.
The M-Audio Transit is VERY good for the price, but could be tweaked a little for better performance - separate power supply instead of feeding off the USP port, changing the electrolytic capacitors in the signal path and maybe a better clock to replace the on board crystal.
For a permanent setup I will probably look at a better AD converter like the new Apogee Rosetta 200 with the FireWire card installed.
Hope this helps

regards Olav Sunde

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Another Vinyl to iPod question (repost from Vinyl Asylum) - Olav Sunde 15:10:59 10/27/04 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.