Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Vinyl to iPod- my experience- long

I have been unable to get My iPod to play back anything greater than 44k/16 bits.

I have loaded 24bit/44k, 24bit/88k AIFF files to my hard drive (vinyl recorded on an Alesis Masterlink). I then transferred them to the iPod. Won't play.

Converting 24/44 files via Apple Lossless Compression results in a file described as 16/44. Plays without problems off hard disk (in a Apple G5 dual 1.8 computer) or iPod.

Then tried applying Apple Lossless to the 24/88 AIFF files (which, interestingly, when loaded on the hard drive show up as 24/65k (?)- a separate issue that I would love to understand- they play back via the computer D/A converters normally). This results in tempo/pitch shifted music, i.e. Apple Lossless as far as I can tell doesn't work with sampling rates > 44k.

My questions/struggle has been obtaining/managing adequate resolution files on my hard drive. I haven't been troubled by the sound quality of my 24/44 > 16/44 via ALC as rendered by the iPod.

BTW, as relates to the other threads re. USB, SPDIF, etc. I have ordered a Benchmark DAC1, planning to connect it to the computer via TOSLINK (and hoping that the claimed, and perhaps demonstrated, jitter reduction of the Benchmark will result in a nice combination). I have been apprehensive re. an electrical connection between the computer and the outside world since having a hum/ground problem that I couldn't fix with an internal Lynx card.

I'd love to here others' experiences/ideas as well, though I am leaving town shortly until tomorrow evening. Good luck!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.