Computer Audio Asylum

RE: Ok

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] Thread: [ Display  All  Email ] [ Computer Audio Asylum ]

This Post Has Been Edited by the Author

Really? Some electronics, like the uRendu will shut down if it draws too much current.

: There's no such thing as drawing too much current from over supplied source, only the opposite when power source couldn't maintain stable current draw.

microRendu accepts 6-9VDC input from regulated from power supply. If it shutdowns, it has power supply issue. That's the faulty in design not having too large transformer.

When you regulate 5-7V from large transformer with way higher output voltage like 15-19V. That'll generate a lot of heat more than smaller transformer with the same output voltage. That's the only possibility where larger transformer can get worse from least optimal design to save the cost.

From what I checked on HDPlex, its 100W transformer has 20V and 15V output. I'm not sure which one used for regulating 5-19V but both will be too high for 7V output. For VRMS of 15V times 1.414 is 21V, dropping it down to 1/3 at 7V will have a lot of heat with energy lost from conversion. Comparing to transformer using 7V output, that'll be about 10V for VRMS, ideal voltage for regulating 7V output.

On the other hand, I've never heard of any doing so because it somehow "detects" a larger transformer upstream running at low capacity. Have you?

: I've heard my friend's diy preamp using $6k for PSU alone with two transformers large enough to build power amp instead. He uses about 20 diodes costing $20 each based on borbely's bufferless design. Sounds awesome and can swing without voltage drop on high dynamic swing in ultra highend system.

There's people who build very large transformer despite using not so many power because it works better on circuit is designed for more reserved power. Most power amps with double power rating from 8 to 4 ohm often has large transformer for higher reserved power too.

Yes. For fewer dollars.
: Why don't you buy Rasberry PI instead? It has more features than microRendu and cheaper too. Aren't you buying microRendu for better qualities though it has less features?

I'm building affordable highend linear power supply for those who can appreciate it. I answered your questions out of good will to help you correcting your misunderstanding about electronics not promoting my products. If you think HDPlex is good for you, go for it. You asked for knowledge about power supply and here I am giving you my knowledge.

Regards,
Keetakawee

Edits: 03/17/17   03/17/17   03/17/17   03/17/17

Follow Ups: