Computer Audio Asylum

It seems we have different environments

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] Thread: [ Display  All  Email ] [ Computer Audio Asylum ]

This Post Has Been Edited by the Author

Far easier than sharing files via Windows...If it was 'More Complex', I wouldn't do it...Period!

I use my desktop system on a daily basis. And I like the fact that access to data is not dependent upon network uptime. That's where all my data lives. Setting up a NAS, regardless of cost would be a separate and unnecessary redundancy for me. Why bother? One computer system for the home is just fine. Yes, both wifey and I have work laptops, but those can already access the central server when necessary. The OS is SSD based with the need for only one data disk spinning. With a spare on the shelf should that fail.

Don't get hung up on the RAID

Certainly not. I abandoned the concept completely after using it for only a short time because it was a waste of resources. Instead, I have six offline drives that are not continually spinning their lives away. That provides plenty of redundancy in an environment that simply doesn't change that often - unlike the business systems that I support today where RAID 10 rules.

I've been in IT since 1980. :)

Follow Ups: