Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Two more basic CA questions I should know the answer to . . .

I believe either of your scenarios #1 or #2 will work in an iTunes environment. Linked below is an article on placing your iTunes library on a NAS, which also applies to the Aiport Extreme with disk(s) attached.

If you access your iTunes Library over Wifi to the AirPort Extreme, you -may- encounter issues related to wireless network signal strength and channel congestion. If these potential issues arise, they become more of a problem with higher resolution music files or movies & videos that require more bandwidth. If your wifi signal is strong and reliable between your devices, you should be fine.

However, I'm not clear on how the setup above will work for you with Roon. I suppose you can have Roon running on the Mini with your music stored on the Aiport Extreme disks. You can also listen to the music from your MacBook Pro but you will not be controlling playing from the MacBook Pro. Roon is licensed on one device. In this case it is licensed on your Mac Mini. When you want to listen on your MacBook Pro you do so with the Roon Bridge software (installed on the MacBook Pro). You will need to control playback from the Mini or with a tablet like the iPad. The MacBook Pro in this case is an 'end-point'. You can have as many Roon 'end-points' as you like. You tell Roon (on the Mini) to which 'end-point' it should be sending the music. Or.... you can possibly run screen sharing between the MacBook Pro and the Mac Mini and control Roon that way, but things are starting to get a bit 'messy' at this point.

Another possible scenario is to use Roon on the Mini but straight iTunes on the MacBook Pro. Your iTunes library will be on the Airport Extreme. Itunes preferences on your MacBook Pro will just 'point to' the iTunes library residing on your Airport Extreme.

Additional Note:
Unlike the QNAP or Synology NAS, you cannot run Roon Server directly on the Airport Extreme. Some folks run a dedicated NAS to eliminate the computer from their system. But that's another argument because a NAS -is- a computer. It's just a computer specializing in various protocols for accessing files over the network. In fact, my Mac Mini is a NAS when I choose to use it as such. ;-)

Edits: 01/20/17

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Two more basic CA questions I should know the answer to . . . - AbeCollins 23:03:13 01/20/17 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.