Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

My source hasn't changed a lot in 8 years - long

I agree with G_Squared. Well engineered and mastered recordings matter the most, a good music file is also important (no MP3 or AAC rips), with a good DAC. I find these to be most important.

Like other general purpose computers (PC's) there's nothing obsolete about using a Mac Mini as a 'traditional' music server. A 'traditional' music server may no longer be as fashionable but they're perfectly fine. I had the early Intel based Mac Mini's in 2009 and now use a 2012 Mini that continues to serve me well.

I've used iTunes alone, and I've used Pure Music and Audirvana Plus both in iTunes integrated mode where iTunes manages the music library but the other software bypasses Apple's CoreAudio and offers other features to improve the sound. I still use Audirvana Plus and the setup sounds wonderful.

If you buy a new Mac Mini, 8GB should be fine. You will want to transfer your music library from your existing Mac to the new one. Keep in mind that iTunes is also a database so you're not just moving your music files. I'll link to a couple steps below that make it very easy.

In fact I just transferred my iTunes library to my wife's 2015 MacBook Pro running the latest macOS 10.12.2 Sierra. I backed up iTunes to an external USB disk then restored it to my wife's Mac as described in the links below. It was easy and flawless.

I wanted to see if I encounter any USB audio problems with macOS Sierra. I tested playback through my USB DAC with no issues. Obviously not a thorough test but it worked fine for me. There were reports of USB audio problems when macOS Sierra 10.12 was first launched. They appear to be resolved in 10.12.2 and popular player developers are also reporting that their products are now compatible including Pure Music, Audirvana Plus, and Roon.

Manage and backup your iTunes media library

How to move your iTunes library to a new computer.

------------------

About Roon:

I am also using my Mac Mini with Roon. It's not as complicated as it seems. There are a few ways to use it and the examples below are not mutually exclusive:

1) Install Roon on the Mac Mini with a local keyboard, mouse, LCD screen to manage it, then straight out to the USB DAC. Simple. This is my office setup.

2) Roon on the Mac Mini just like #1 above but using the Roon App on the iPad as a remote control. Still simple and works great. Instead of walking over to the Mac Mini across the office, I'll use the iPad from my desk to control my music library with the Roon App.

3) Roon on the Mac Mini just like the two above with Roon 'bridge' software on the network streamer. The network streamer can be another computer on your network anywhere in your house, or it can be a dedicated commercial device like the microRendu. In the case of dedicated commercial streamers some come pre-loaded with Roon 'bridge' and are often labeled as "Roon Ready".

I have the microRendu streamer in the basement and when I go down there to listen to music, I take the iPad with me. The music library resides on the Mini up in my office and I use the Roon App on the iPad to 'direct' it to play through the networked microRendu streamer. The streamer is USB attached to my other DAC in the basement. In this case the Mac Mini in the office is essentially acting as "Network Attached Storage" (NAS) where my music files reside.

One nice thing about Roon is that it discovers your existing iTunes library as it resides on your Mac. No need to rearrange it or create a new directory structure.

If you're planning to 'rip' more CDs you're going to NEED a computer somewhere in your system anyway. The same Mac Mini up in my office is used for ripping my CDs, for local playback in my office, and as a NAS when streaming to the microRendu in the basement. I can also stream to the AppleTV boxes in family room and bedroom.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.