Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

OK, well, I guess it's sort of a cry for help . . .

Joking. Well, sort of joking

I'm not a techie. I have a working understanding of how a Mac-based system's architecture works with the major third party players like Pure Music. But (1) I don't want to go back to Windows because I personally don't like it and (2) when I try to figure out how all of the various options for servers and streamers work, I really struggle, and it's not for lack of trying.

Just as an illustrative example, I just went to the Roon website since everyone is praising it and I had no idea what it even was. After reading and re-reading their site, I understand about half of what they're saying. I get that it is software that must reside on a computer, including a tablet or smart phone, and that it can somehow find any music source that resides within a network, whether a file ripped from a CD or downloaded, or a music streaming service like Tidal. And I get that it then compiles all of those files or other sources into a great, creative library interface that you can access and control through any iOS or Android device. But what I don't get is the player part, or the streamer part. That is, how the heck does it get the music from the source to a DAC? One thing they say is to think of RAAT as "Airplay for Audiophiles", but on the other hand I can't find any confirmation that it has it's own streamer or how that would work or how a USB DAC would be compatible with a wireless streamer.

And if it has a streamer, then why are people using it together with this Raspberry Pi 3 thing, and what is that exactly and how does it work, etc.?

And how would it all work with non-Mac/PC servers, such as the little green computer products or the Elac server?

I mean, these are separate and actual questions I have about a specific product offering, but I also list them out as examples of how I struggle figuring out the technology and how it all works together.

I'm pretty hopeless I guess when I try to envision an actual system that I could configure and use. Maybe I just don't have what it takes to compile a CA system that combines excellent sound with relative ease of use.

FINAL EDIT: Reading this I know I sound like a whiny baby. Perhaps I just need to research more and more to figure this stuff out better, and then ask targeted questions.

___
"If you are the owner of a new stereophonic system, this record will play with even more brilliant true-to-life fidelity. In short, you can purchase this record with no fear of its becoming obsolete in the future."

Edits: 01/15/17 01/15/17 01/15/17 01/15/17

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.