HTTP/1.0 200 OK Content-type: text/html

Can't connect to database, trying again....HTTP/1.0 200 OK Content-type: text/html

Can't connect to database, trying again.... RE: a lot of talk about Gustard X20 DAC PRO ES9028, but... - Ric Schultz - Computer Audio Asylum

Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: a lot of talk about Gustard X20 DAC PRO ES9028, but...

Most of that "talk" has come from me. I don't find the ESS DACs to be inherently anything but how you use them. Not saying other DAC chips don't sound "warmer" or whatever. However, I have been modding Oppos with the ESS DACs and now the Gustard and Gustard Pro and I can make them sound any way I like. They are very sensitive to everything you do.....and very revealing. So, if your clocking, output stages, power supplies, etc. are not super than that is what you will get. The Crystek "femto clock" everyone uses is a $28 part anyone can buy at Digikey or Mouser.....it is not a super duper clock.....please read posts #37 and 59 here to read what people think of the Pulsar clock compared to the Crystek:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/vendors-bazaar/258789-pulsar-clock-ultra-low-noise-ocxo-4.html

I am now just ordering the $400 Pulsar clock for my Pro and cannot wait to hear the result!

Do you think that bipolar op amps with tons of feedback will sound that great? No super high end DAC that I know of uses op amps (yes, I am sure someone will find an exception or two).....I still hear the op amp sound on my Pro and will be fixing it soon with either the output trannies or another possible solution.

The stock Pro is good....nothing special. However, with just level one mods it makes me cry. I can hear so much information that I can tell what brand of strings someone is using.....that is musical....it moves me. It is not warm or musical in the tube sense. It is magic in the real sense......but not stock....but not stock. Stock, it is boring, a-harmonic, compressed and closed in sounding.

I cannot wait to hear this thing with the Pulsar clock and better output stage....omg...omg...Omg...OMg.....OMG....OMG!!!!!!!

By the way, I am listening with coax input from my modded Oppo 103D. I have the usb board removed for better sound. CDs sound like 24/96 used to sound. I have not heard it with its usb board. I don't have a usb source.

Edits: 12/29/16

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.