Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: The whole thing - the issue for me is

You are changing the subject from what I posted and you appear now to support what has always been good practice ie a clean and minimised OS. Previosuly, you had cocnsistently preferred multiple installs of 'optimising' software to give 'better' sound. So, good for you.

It is surprising that you chose to inatall W10 when Audiophil has always preferred Win Server 2012R2. If you had installed this in your trials, you may actuallly find even better better SQ. Reason? Server is slimmer than W10 and can be made very slim indeed.

My approach has always been simple and I have posted on this many times. Use the best hardware including power supplies. Do not use a laptop where components are packed close to and where extra software drivers are needed to run the system (over that of a desktop), plus where a fan (or fans) are mandatory. I do not install any software that is not needed for running an audio system, including graphic drivers fit for high resolution use but not needed for audio. I do not use anti virus software and I avoid the web. I use the best power supplies and mains regenerators, not oblique mains conditioners that are not clear in what they actually do. .

I am in favour of finding out the basics of what what 'optimising' software does, and try to understand how to slim a system and give priority to audio. I do not believe in sales words such as 'this device or software improves timing', which in itself has no meaning.

My 'purist' systems run on less than 280 threads and 5000 handles. They run on very little ram and perhaps 2-3% cpu power playing 384k 32 bit files. They do not go to the web to find pretty pictures for audio files. They do not rely on optimising software that add additional processing to get rid of 'uneeded ones'.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.