Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

AMR DP-777SE not USB Audio 2.0 compatible?

Hi all,

In my initial email I raised some general questions about the responsibility of DAC producers to be able substantiate claims regarding their USB Audio 2.0 (UAC2) compatibility. I have since looked into this regarding specific issues between my DAC and server.

History

AMR website FAQ:

The DP-777 requires a minimum of USB 2.0 AND USB Audio Class 2.0 compliant Operating Systems (Mac OS X, select distributions of Linux) or a USB Audio Class 2.0 Driver (supplied for Windows) in order to have sufficient bandwidth for 24-Bit 176.4/192kHz audio.

There is nothing specific, except positive magazine reviews, in relation to the SE version of the DAC on AMR's site. However they discuss the importance of USB compatibility in general...

AMR via email in April-2015 suggested the server I was using at the time was Linux-based and as such, it is not standardised across the board eg USB Audio Class 2.0. This implies that it was not working because it was not UAC2 compatible... conversely, if compatible, it should work.

AMR via email yesterday:

With regards to Linux we do not support this as there are too many variations...

The implication of this is that the DP-777SE USB firmware is not truly UAC2 compliant. AMR develops their input firmware and drivers for OSX/Win; they don't provide drivers for Linux because of the variety of distros. I am awaiting further confirmation of UAC2 (in)compatibility.

The problem

This would be fine except AMR have clearly given the impression - and it's a reasonable expectation - that their products are UAC2 compliant and should work with UAC2 compatible sources. IME and (finally) by their own admission they don't.

I feel for the distributor over here in Australia - a nicer, more professional, more helpful person you are unlikely to meet.

Buyer beware.

Cheers,

"Confusion of goals and perfection of means seems to characterise our age." Albert Einstein

Edits: 12/04/16

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.