Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: MyTek Brooklyn DAC ?

I am not really going to answer your question directly for which I apologise.

However, given that the DAC will provide a voltage suitable to drive the ampifier input ( and Mytek seem rather shy of the specification on their website, only impedence is given , 50 ohms as it happens), that is no guarantee that you will find it satisfactory. Furthemore the typical range of output voltages for DACs is countered by the range of typical input sensititvities for power amplifiers. So even if we knew that the Mytek has x volts output, whether it will drive Y amplifier's input is still open to question. Hence without knowing what power amp you intend to use and its specifications in this respect then even if another Mytek Brooklyn owner has experience this is not necessarily transferable to you.

Generally, as far as I can tell, most people do not find direct connection of DACs (or CD players) to power amplifiers entirely satisfactory. Yes, there is improved transparency but too often that seems to be accompanied by a lack of sheer grunt at the musical Big Moments. That has been my experience irrespective of voltage matching. You will find loads of supporting anecdotal evidence both here in the archives and elsewhere on both the web and in print magazines.

So all I can do is recommend that you try. However don't sell your pre-amp first.

Edits: 11/01/16

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.