Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Guys, what is ping rate?

Ping is the tool used to measure the network latency between your computer and another server on the network. In your case, it is the server being used at the other end of your speedtest benchmark (or whatever benchmark site you happen to be using). You can run ping on a local network or across the internet.

Shorter ping times are better but 30ms isn't bad as you have little idea what intermediate 'hops' and other congestion your network packets encounter at any given time of day on their way to the destination server. You can play with ping and traceroute from a terminal window command line in many operating systems, as I did on my Mac shown below.

You have little control over your ping times. It is mostly up to your ISP and the route your packets are taking over the internet.

Read more details after my screen shots below.

ping audioasylum.com and google.com from my Mac command line

traceroute audioasylum.com from my Mac command line

"Most operating systems, including Windows, contain a utility called "Ping" that can be accessed from the command prompt. Type "ping Google.com" (without the quotes) and the utility will return something like the following:

Reply from 216.58.219.206: bytes=32 time=29ms TTL=53
Reply from 216.58.219.206: bytes=32 time=28ms TTL=53
Reply from 216.58.219.206: bytes=32 time=34ms TTL=53
Reply from 216.58.219.206: bytes=32 time=30ms TTL=53

In this case, the time in milliseconds is the ping rate (or latency) between my home PC and the Google.com server. The program is telling me that it took an average of 30ms across four runs for my computer to communicate with Google.com.

In the majority of cases, the ping rate is equivalent to the effective latency between your home PC or tablet and the Internet. This is not always the case, however - network throttling and congestion sometimes means that your system might have very low latency when connecting to Google.com, but very high latency when connecting to Netflix, or a game like League of Legends. Still, the terms are synonymous enough that many games and programs report network latency as ping rate, measured in milliseconds."

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.