Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: CAUTION!!!! Download speed waring!!!

I really don't know what could be causing your poor DSL behavior. I would complain to CenturyLink, and ask them if there's newer equipment you should be using.

Here's my CenturyLink horror story:
We moved into our new home right after it was built. The inside of our home was completely wired for telephone, internet, cable tv, etc. to all of the bedrooms and office. Supposedly all we had to do was turn ON service.

It was obvious to me that CenturyLink never pulled a telephone line thru the underground conduit up to the side of our house from the junction box in the neighbor's yard. There's a conduit right up against our house with a string in it to supposedly pull the wire thru. I tried tugging on it but it wouldn't budge and I didn't want to snap the string or wire.

When I called and insisted that our home does not have a telephone line, the customer service rep insisted that it does. We went back and forth on this several times until I gave up. I told him to turn-ON my telephone service then. He said it would be ON before the end of the day. I waited a couple days and of course we had no dial-tone so I called CenturyLink. They dispatched a service technician who told me our house doesn't have a telephone line. Well, no shit Sherlock!

He can't seem to pull the telephone line thru the conduit either. He claims that the thick plastic conduit might be kinked underground or water got in it and it's frozen (it was wintertime). He ran a temporary line over our fence into the junction box in the neighbor's yard. The temporary line ran across our backyard and into the connection box that was mounted to the side of our house. We now have phone service!

At this point I have an ugly and unsafe telephone line running across the backyard and was told they would have to dispatch another tech to either fix the conduit or dig a trench to properly bury a permanent phone cable. They couldn't do this until spring after the ground thaws. I call them again in early spring and was told that the crew that trenches and buries residential lines are backed up until June. I wait patiently and a new tech comes out in July and confirms that he cannot pull the existing cable thru the conduit and he isn't the right guy to trench and bury a new cable. He doesn't have the right equipment.

Now I'm told that I have to wait until the end of summer for them to trench and bury a cable. By this time we have our landscaping in and the last thing I need is for them to tear it up. I cancelled service and cut and removed their temporary line that ran across the backyard.

We have Comcast telephone service over the cable tv coax and via the cable modem. The sound quality is excellent with advanced features not available thru the 'phone company'.

Edits: 10/05/16

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: CAUTION!!!! Download speed waring!!! - AbeCollins 08:55:25 10/05/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.