Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Please Help Build My PC System

Hi all,

A big thank you for the information and build suggestions. I really do appreciate the help. I ordered the Dynaudio XEO4's online today for $1847 total. As an audio novice, I figured active speakers are best for me at this point and I got a great deal on them.

I've been reading the specs (there isn't much info available for the XEO4) and it doesn't sound like they have a true built-in DAC - just digital signal processing (DSP). Can I upgrade to a better DAC later, or will it interfere with the XEO4's internal processing?

One more quick question. Unlike the MM-1's, which I simply plugged into the PC's USB port bypassing the PC's sound card to process the data in the internal DAC, the XEO4's don't plug in via USB without the $400 Dynaudio XEO Hub (which I didn't, and won't, buy). Given this, what is the best way to connect the XEO4's to my PC? Internal PC soundcard with optical output? External USB PC soundcard with optical output? Or maybe even a USB DAC with optical output (if it exists)?

In other words, for $300, how can I get the cleanest sound from my PC to my XEO4 speakers? They have RCA, 3.5mm miniplug, and optical inputs.

Edits: 09/22/16

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.