Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: GRAY AREA - Computers & Hard Disks in the listening room - Pictures

In my experience, the computer and hard drive noise issue is a non sequitur. I have never heard the internal fan of my iMac computer kick-in at any time, and my external hard drives are completely silent to my ear when positioned behind the iMac video display. I find my computer workstation system to be no more noisy than the traditional CD transport in my main audio system, which is essentially a dead quiet audio component from a mechanical POV. When a computer audio server and its associated hard drives are placed in another room, that type of remote configuration would seem to be that of a distributed audio system rather than the conventional notion of a digital source component placed as near as possible to a DAC, which is then placed as close as possible to the other components within an audio system in order to keep audio cabling as short as possible.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: GRAY AREA - Computers & Hard Disks in the listening room - Pictures - Duster 13:06:34 08/28/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.