Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

GRAY AREA - Computers & Hard Disks in the listening room - Pictures

Some audiophiles will insist that hard disks and computers do not belong in the listening room. Yet some very high end and well reviewed commercial music servers include both. If the goal is to get computers and hard disks out of the listening room then these manufacturers clearly violate certain audiophile principles. The whole topic of whether a computer and hard disk should not be in the listening room is gray-area and not black & white.

Of course many of these music servers may be highly optimized by the manufacturers for audio and that's great. Some do a better job than others. But to think that only high-end audio manufacturers have a lock on optimizing computers for audio is not the case. DIYers are capable too.

A couple high-end commercially available music servers based on industry standard mini-ITX computer motherboards, a variant of the open source Linux operating system, and readily available disk drives are shown below.

Study the photos. You decide on the facts.

Aurender W20 music server: It consists of an industry standard fanless mini-ITX mother board underneath a custom Aurender digital board. It's internal hard disk is capped with what appears to be a 10-lb chunk of machined aluminum. It also incorporates a battery bank for power and a nice front panel display. Here we have an example of a very expensive music server that includes both a standard mini-ITX computer motherboard and a hard disk.

Aurender W20 music server:
Hard disk lower left in photo. Aurender custom digital board upper right. The industry standard mini-ITX computer motherboard resides under the custom digital board. Battery bank lower right.

Note the mini-ITX computer motherboard under the Aurender digital board. LiFePO4 battery bank removed.

mini-ITX motherbaoard similar to the one found in the Aurender. Note the bottom connectors and layout in both photos.

Note the long white PCI slot connector to the right on the mini-ITX motherboard and on the mini-ITX motherboard in the Aurender. Pretty much the same layouts. Here the example board is obviously not fanless but the point is to show that the very high-end Aurender W20 does in fact use one of many available mini-ITX computer motherboards on the market.

Antipodes DX Reference music server: Is based on a mini-ITX computer motherboard, a variant of the Linux computer operating system, and a SoTM PCI USB card

Antipodes DX Reference music server:
mini-ITX motherboard upper left, SoTM PCI USB card (white) plugged in horizontally on top of motherboard via PCI riser card, Samsung SSD with Antipodes label on it (black) left side up against the front panel. CD drive, power supply transformer to right of CD drive, bridge rectifier bolted to the chassis bottom, linear power supply board consisting of IC voltage regulator and two pass transistors bolted to chassis bottom.

For those who vehemently believe that COMPUTERS & DISK DRIVES have no place in the high-end listening room, perhaps these music servers should be scrapped for a minimalist streamer without a disk. Perhaps something like the microRendu. While you eliminate the disk in the listening room, you don't completely eliminate the computer but at least it's a very very tiny computer vs the motherboards found in the large and pricey music servers above.

I'm not a streamer fanboy trying to persuade folks that streamers are the only way to go. I thoroughly enjoy my Mac Mini COMPUTER in my office and my microRendu streamer in the basement listening room. Your choice for your specific situation and need is the best way.

Edits: 08/26/16

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Topic - GRAY AREA - Computers & Hard Disks in the listening room - Pictures - AbeCollins 12:16:37 08/26/16 (28)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.