Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Streaming to microRendu in the basement - pics

After hearing the microRendu with Roon in my small home office listening setup I was inspired to clear an area in the cluttered unfinished basement to give it a try down there. I haven't bothered to tidy up the basement in the two years that we've been here until now. There are boxes, furniture, electronics, office supplies, and a bunch of junk surrounding the area I cleared for the audio setup.

I have my larger Thiel CS2.4 speakers in the basement along with the Rogue Cronus Magnum integrated amp and a lot more elbow room. My speakers are 10 feet apart and each one is a good 6 feet from their respective left and right side walls. I am able to sit about 10 feet back from the speakers in my comfy sofa and control the music with the iPad. The Roon Core server is my Mac Mini in the home office streaming over standard hardwired* CAT5e Ethernet cabling. Nothing special, no golden ear megabuck Ethernet cabling. All that extra space with the microRendu + Roon combo is sounding incredible.

I'm getting imaging and soundstage like never before, along with good solid bass. I attribute much of the improvement to the room but I am also quite impressed with the microRendu. I basically cleared a space in the basement and threw a rug on the concrete floor. That's it. More work ahead but I'm off to a good start. I spent a couple hours today listening and enjoying the music, often with my eyes closed as it's still messy down here.

Because fmak hates pictures...

View from the listening position: Thiel CS2.4 speakers, Rogue Cronus Magnum w/KT120 power tubes, KAB Technics SL-1200mkII TT,
PS Audio P300 Power Plant AC power regenerator, PS Audio NuWave DSD DAC, microRendu streamer, Accuphase DP-65v CDP.

The PS Audio P300 AC Regenerator powers everything except the amp.

microRendu on Anker Multi-Angle Aluminum Stand. It fits and supports the mRendu very nicely. $10 from Amazon.

*As a side note, just for grins and to satisfy my curiosity I tried streaming to another Mac Mini as the end-point over Wifi (instead of the microRendu over Ethernet) in the same setup pictured above. This was before I took the time to string Ethernet cabling overhead and back to the router behind the listening position. Wifi worked fine with 16/44.1 redbook files but I experienced dropouts at higher resolutions including 24/96 and beyond. This is with the Wifi router just 25 feet direct line of sight away. I didn't experiment with 2.4GHz vs 5GHz. I have never experienced dropouts over hardwired CAT5e Ethernet, ever. That's with 16/44.1 redbook files and up to 24/192KHz as well as DSD128.

Edits: 08/13/16

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Topic - Streaming to microRendu in the basement - pics - AbeCollins 23:08:14 08/12/16 (12)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.