Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: "Roon has turned out to be far more than a music program with metadata"

Steve covered much of it as I was composing this response. You really have to try Roon for yourself to better understand it's capabilities. It took me a few weeks of digging into it (part time) with various configurations to appreciate what it does beyond library management and rich metadata.

You pay for Roon on one server with the ability to stream to unlimited end-points. I played with Roon on a Mac Mini with Roon Bridge on a 2nd Mac Mini as an end point. However, you can run Roon and manage it locally if you have no networked end-points. I also played with it using my work laptop as a Roon Bridge end-point playing music from the Mini to my laptop as I work. I also have the microRendu network streamer end-point as well as two AppleTV AirPlay devices in the house.

Integration and compatibility:

- with a variety of servers and PCs, Windows, Mac OS, Linux, and popular NAS.

- with a variety of end-points including PC, Mac, DIY ARM streamers, DIY Intel based streamers, commercial RoonReady streamers, commercial RoonReady DACs, Squeezebox devices, Meridian devices, AirPlay devices. Audio synchronization to multiple rooms across multiple end-point devices (zones).

- with a variety of audio format types including WAV, AIFF, FLAC, ALAC, OGG,up to 24/384. DSD64, DSD128, and DSD256 content in DSF format. MP3, AAC.

- works seamlessly as a front-end to TiDAL and HQPlayer.

- with a variety of control points for remote control like iOS and Android devices.

- and it's very snappy and responsive. Virtually no lag in navigation, selection, or scrolling even with rich album art (requires OpenGL 3.0 or later).

- control point remotes reconnect rapidly. I can have the Roon screen up on my iPad, start a playlist or queue, disconnect and turn off the iPad and let it play. When I start the Roon app again on the iPad it automatically and immediately reconnects to the server within a second, almost no delay.

- settings are easy to access and reconfigure locally on the Roon server or via the control point.... iPad Mini in my case.

Here's what I'm playing with this week along with some sample Roon Settings screen shots.

Mac Mini running Roon Core streaming to the networked microRendu with it's USB output driving the W4S uLink USB to S/PDIF converter to the Mytek Digital Stereo 192-DSD-DAC. I also run the Mytek DAC direct to the Mac Mini but I'm testing the W4S uLink USB to S/PDIF converter primarily for use on an older CDP/DAC I have down in the basement.

Because fmak hates pictures....

Some Roon settings. There's much more that I didn't capture

The blue Enable buttons are devices that have not been Enabled. Only the microRendu has been selected in
this example. Once a device is Enabled additional screens appear for configuration settings.

Signal path example to microRendu streamer

Signal path example to HQPlayer (to microRendu streamer>

Edits: 08/09/16 08/09/16 08/09/16 08/09/16

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.