Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: LANRover - Final Thoughts and Review

I am also a beta tester and was also a bit surprised that it was not plug and play for me either.

It did not work with my (old) Airport Express at all, probably because the latter seems to only do half-duplex with its ethernet port.

It worked with my Eclipse TD-M1 speakers (with built-in DAC), but not at the max resolution.

It worked with iTunes into the DAC in my Marantz SA14A1, provided I remembered to set the resolution correctly using the Audi Midi set up.

It gave me problems with Audirvana into the Marantz DAC. It seems to work with some oversampling rates but not others, in an incomprehensible way. (For example, it does not work with no oversampling, but it does with oversampling into DSD.)

I don't think I will be able to make a worthwhile listening comparison. My goal is to get decent sound out of my computer into my main system without too much trouble and I think it will do that.
(The computer is too far from the DAC for a direct USB connection, and I had been looking for such solutions before the LANRover came out.) I expect that my main sources will continue to be vinyl and silver discs played through the Marantz. (SACD's, the few I have, sound very good, comparable to vinyl, to me.)

I would like to add that PS Audio has been a pleasure to deal with: professional, honest, prompt to reply, and helpful where they can be. Also the price difference between the LANRover and what I take to be the computer product(s) on which it is based is very reasonable indeed.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.