Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Not a problem...

I think we're talking about two different things. There are several great power supplies out there that will work fine and sound great on the mRendu. That's not what is in question here.

The additional 150mA load from the uLink USB to S/PDIF converter will produce extra heat within the mRendu if the uLink is powered from the mRendu's USB port. Sure it will work fine, sure it will sound great, and sure it will produce additional heat. The tiny mRendu already runs on the warm side whether powered by 6v, 7v, or 9v. I've tried it.

I will run the uLink from an external DC source rather than via the mRendu's USB port +5V VBUS completely eliminating concerns for additional heat dissipation from the mRendu.

P.S. It has to do with input voltage vs output voltage and the voltage drop across the mRendu voltage regulators and the amount of current being passed thru those regulators. That voltage drop multiplied by current is what produces the wasted heat. More current drawn on the mRendu's USB port = more heat. So rather than powering the uLink via the mRendu's USB, I'll power it with it's own DC source.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.