Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Logitech Transporter

> 1/ If I want to play songs from a NAS storage, I still need a computer/laptop to run the
> software to act as a bridge/interface;

The software is the server - Logitech Media Server (LMS). The Transporter can do nothing without being connected to and controlled by the server. The server is necessary to stream music to the player as well as send control instructions to it like stop, pause, etc.

Typically, the music would be stored on the same computer that is running LMS. It _can_ be setup up so that you have the music on a NAS, and the server software running another computer, but it introduces another layer of complexity into the setup and another network link in the playback chain. (NAS -> LMS -> Player). That additional network link doesn't affect sound quality at all, but there's some potential for interruption if the network has problems.

Another drawback is that LMS must scan the library to add all music to its library database. It's much faster when those music files are stored on a local drive instead of on another device on the network.

Some NAS can run the LMS software. That's not a bad alternative, but sometimes those devices are a little underpowered and you'll often experience that in the user interface being sluggish.

> 2/ The computer/laptop can be in a different room as long as it is connected to the
> network, but must be on;

The computer running LMS? Yes, it must be on.

> 3/ I still need to use the laptop to create a playlist;

You don't have to create playlists on the machine running LMS. There are other options. See below.

> 4/ I can only select songs from the playlist on the front panel/remote. I will not be
> able to go look for songs directly from the NAS.

If your music is stored on a NAS and that NAS is 'headless' (has no monitor) there won't be a way to select music on the NAS itself. But there are several other options.

1. On the Transporter itself, using its display and the IR remote.

2. On the computer running LMS, assuming it has a screen and mouse and/or keyboard. You'll do this from a web browser through a web server that LMS runs.

3. From any other computer on your network. Again, through that web interface.

4. Using a smartphone or tablet running a remote app. This is probably the most convenient. Connect your smartphone to your network (assuming you have wifi) and control your player(s). There are apps available for both iOS (Apple) devices and for Android devices.

> 5/ Has anyone successfully run it through a Win 10 laptop? It seems to be unstable?
> Will Win 7 laptop work?

Either will work fine.

Edits: 08/04/16

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.