Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: USB is for mice and keyboards

Yeah.....

Personally, I feel that it's essential to compare any digital file playing device, including things like that Lumin (with built-in DAC), modified computers, etc. to CD, DVD-A, SACD, & vinyl, & now streaming.... I've been comparing USB NAS file playback directly to SACD & CD since 2003.
There are a number people trying Thunderbolt right now, plus comparing it to AES67, vinyl, and disc spinners. Already on the market are RedNet devices, plus many people are high on Roon/RAAT.
The thing is that there are huge investments in USB, plus, USB has been so great as a standard for so many peripheral devices, the only thing that is going to kill it, is Bluetooth, and the elimination of peripherals & multifunction computing devices, which is already happening..... Albeit slowly.
(I know that I'm beating a dead horse, but the philosophical model of replacing your computing device every year and half, and paying for a (rental) SUBSCRIPTION to your software, (that's sometimes poorly written & unfinished sofware), that has upgrades every 3 months + having the customer be the QA department, - is completely antithetical to high end audio. These companies who build these apps, will hang around a lot longer with some of these Layer 3 networking devices that essentially extend separate parts of the computer to other locations).

"Asylums with doors open wide,
Where people had paid to see inside,
For entertainment they watch his body twist
Behind his eyes he says, 'I still exist.'"

Edits: 05/04/16

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.