Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Need Dumbed down advice on HD backup for Mini system

Yes, Bill Way, my AVA Ultra Dac does not have USB input and I plan to use a Spdif converter rather than invest in a new DAC at this time.
Looks like, from the good advice so far, that rather than
crowding a USB bus on the Mac Mini, it will be better to go with another connectivity and practically, that leaves Thunderbolt (TB). I will plan to invest (sigh...) in two 2 or 3 Tbyte Thunderbolt HD's, and daisy chain them. Raid arrays are more expensive and much more challenging to set up, due to my lack of nerd skills.
Question: the 2014 Mini has two Thunderbolt ports. Does anyone know if it is better to connect each one seperately to a TB HD or obtain a TB dock (Belkin or others) and connect them through the dock. Not many TB HD's have TB two ports so daisy chain one HD to the other may not be feasible.
I don't plan on using the TB ports on the Mini for anything other than the HD music library and backup.
As far as brands, LaCie d2 HD's may be the most reasonable....anyone have any positive/negative comments regarding this brand? (especially reliability/ease of setup).

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Need Dumbed down advice on HD backup for Mini system - farmdoc 11:25:48 10/23/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.