Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Inmate Adriel posted on this - way down below on this page.

Adding confirmation to your comment (and some more details of my experience that might be of interest to the OP and others)...

A year or so ago I was able to get Foobar2000 to play DSD files across USB to my Mytek DAC using a Windows 7 64 bit (Acer) tower machine. As I recall it was necessary to install the suggested components. I had enough speed in my machine that I didn't have to do any further tweaking to get it to play glitch free.

One thing that I noticed at the time with Foobar software was clicks when attempting to play gapless across tracks. These were at a fairly low level, and annoying only when my volume control was cranked all the way up to handle orchestral music with huge dynamics, so might not be noticeable with other musical genres. This may have been fixed in the intervening year and is really no more annoying than some thumps on LP needle drops. At the time there were worse noise problems with the Mytek DAC when switching modes (PCM, DSD64 and DSD128). These were fixed (eventually) by a combination of new firmware and drivers. These problems arose regardless of whether the DSD player application was Foobar or HQPlayer.

I don't see any reason why a machine that can play 176/24 without glitches couldn't also play DSD64, but their might be problems with DSD128. Even though the machine has enough power to run with a low level of CPU utilization (less than 5 percent), there may still be potential problems if the DPC latency is high. Also, even if the DPC latency is moderate there can be problems if buffer sizes have been set small. Unfortunately, setting buffer sizes large to avoid glitches is likely to lower sound quality.

Tony Lauck

"Diversity is the law of nature; no two entities in this universe are uniform." - P.R. Sarkar

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Inmate Adriel posted on this - way down below on this page. - Tony Lauck 08:50:50 10/15/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.