Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Apple responded to fmak's fan comments

Fan noise is a huge deal. In fact, it was such a big deal for me that I decided that I wouldn't get another laptop that had a fan. And this, even if I didn't use the laptop for audio.

First, there is no need of a fan if there is not excessive power consumption. The power consumption results in heat, fan or no. And if the lap top is setting on your lap this heat (whether or not involving forced air) is unpleasant and distracting. Second, as the lap top gets older it is only a matter of time before the fan gets noisy, so noisy that grinding noise drowns out one's thoughts and changes them into thoughts of impending doom for the laptop.

There was some justification for a fan in the days where spinning rust was the only storage media. However, now that every part of a computer system can be completely silent, there is simply no further excuse for having unnecessary noise, weight, heat and power consumption associated with a fan in a portable device.

Tony Lauck

"Diversity is the law of nature; no two entities in this universe are uniform." - P.R. Sarkar

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Apple responded to fmak's fan comments - Tony Lauck 08:07:40 09/04/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.