Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Geek Out opinions?

iTunes alone will play high resolution music files. What it won't do is automatically switch sample rates if you have a mix of files, say 16/44.1 from CD rips and 24/96 from a hi-res download site like HDtracks.com

There are several add on programs that work in conjunction with iTunes that will not only improve audio quality but automatically switch sample rates for you... and have other beneficial features like hog mode, memory play, integer mode, etc.

Some of the more popular players include Pure Music, Amarra, BitPerfect, JRiver Media Player, Audirvana Plus, and several others.

Check out this link for a list & brief description of each Music Player for Mac. Some are add-ons to iTunes, others will work as add-ons or independent of iTunes.

My most recent experiences include Pure Music by Channel D and Audirvana Plus. I am presently using Audirvana Plus.

I have not heard of the Geek Out DAC but it looks like many DACs in that market segment including the AudioQuest Dragon Fly and several others that followed.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Geek Out opinions? - AbeCollins 08:50:23 08/23/14 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.