Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Thinking of ditching my PC for an Mac mini..... ?

Sorry. I just made the leap a few weeks ago.

Actually I am a "platform agnostic" and have worked with a variety of systems from mainframes to PCs to *ix systems and some relatively bizarre operating systems, etc.

For my personal use I've had linux, various windows, even an amiga and Tandy system form "back in the day."

I switched to a mac (a mac mini actually) from a Windows system for the following reasons:

1. My old platform was archaic and literally falling apart.
2. I was really sick of the barrage of viruses, malware, etc. that I was constantly fighting.
3. System stability and lack of pre-installed "crapware".
4. Fun to try something new!

Yes, there are some operational differences however the curve is not that bad... there is a lot of help out on the web and getting the system up and running (including useful software from the start) was really nice. It practically set itself up.

My major issues was migration: I ended up doing it manually for the most part (still a work in progress).

Finding equivalent software (so far) hasn't been an issue and my upcoming project is setting myself up an AV server system (I'm still somewhat old school audio wise; the big rig is fairly isolated.)

So far it's been a minimum of problems and fun to learn something new! (ignoring muscle memory is an issue though...)

Good luck on your endeavor if you choose to go for it!

EDIT: lastly a major issue is trying to get my wife to switch... currently running simultaneous systems now.

-DeeCee

PS: Oops! Forgot to mention what I got: Mac mini / 16GB / 256GB SSD. Will add storage later as needed.

PPS: Buy stuff like memory, storage, etc., 3rd party or you'll pay the famous "Mac Tax"

Edits: 04/22/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Thinking of ditching my PC for an Mac mini..... ? - DeeCee 16:13:54 04/22/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.