Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Has anyone compared running with disabled video and enabled network?

Hi Carcass93,
I could never hear any sound quality degradation when using the wired network on my cMP setup. I also don’t see much more latency when using wired network.

But I did hear a sound quality improvement when reducing the USB-polling frequency as suggested by Ryelands. And I also could see much more latency when moving the PS2 or USB mouse around. So I thought it would be nice if USB would not be needed at all and could be disabled in the BIOS.

When I started too power the ESI Juli@ digital part with separate clean power I also thought about polluted ground connections (I don’t mean the safety earth) so in the end I followed Cics recommendation to use a high quality optical connection between cMP and DAC for galvanic isolation. For this reason I also did not like my Sony Bravia LCD TV (which I use as PC monitor) being hardwired too my cMP via the VGA-connection.

But when disabling USB and disconnecting the VGA to my Sony TV, I have too look for some methode of remote control.
Using the wired network and the VNC server software on my cMP setup did not lower sound quality in my setup. Also there’s hardly any rise in latency.
I liked remote controlling my cMP setup with VNC very much. There are lots of VNC clients available for tablets and smartphones.

When inmates started slimming the XP OS software and reported very nice sound quality improvements, I tried too follow that recipe, but I hated how that crippled my cMP machine. Since other inmates reported very good results with running Music Player Deamon on a slimmed Linux OS (Puppy Linux), I switched too MPDPUP. Which has also lots of vey nice MPD-clients available for tablet and smartphones. I like the MPD-clients even better, than the VNC-remote controlling.

So in short:
I could not hear any sound quality degradation from using wired network. But I could hear sound quality degradation from using USB.
Not using a hardwired VGA connection to a (TV/PC)-monitor, did not give me any sound quality improvement, but I want it for ease of mind when thinking about clean power and clean grounds.

Mark

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.