Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Re: What's the best I can do?

I have used Winamp 5 and the ASIO plugin to drive a Panasonic. So, perhaps there is a configuration problem with either FOOBAR, your computer, your soundcard, or the ASIO plugin.

It would be helpful to know what problems you are having, but I will ask a few questions. Bear with me if some of the questions are basic since I don't know your level of expertise in these matters, or what problem you are having.

For starters, since I an not familar with the Sonica or your motherboard, do either of them have drivers that support ASIO? You will need drivers that support ASIO to make this work. Assuming the Sonica or motherboard does not have ASIO drivers, you might search on the web for something called ASIO4ALL. It is a freeware program that tries to support ASIO for hardware that does not have ASIO driver support. It is a workaround, but if drivers are the issue it might work.

Second, you should check to be sure the ASIO plugin is configured properly to point to the ASIO device driver on your system. In Winamp go to the plugin option page and open the ASIO plugin and change the device pulldown to your ASIO driver (not the windows general sound card driver).

Third, make sure the ASIO output is selected in Winamp as the active output by highlighting it in the output section.

Fourth, configure your sound card's digital output. Some card drivers require you to enable digital output using a checkbox.

Fifth, be sure the Panasonic digital inputs are pointed at the right source.

That should work. In terms of the best configuration, generally speaking motherboard sound devices are usually not as good as addons. They also tend to emulate more in software tying up your CPU. So I would go with the Sonica.

For the physical connection, some people like to use optical since it electrically isolates the computer from the hifi. However, you should use a glass optical cable (about $50), not the ones sold at most electronics stores which are plastic.

For sofware, I am using something called Mediamonkey which has a freeware version. It is a great organizer, jukebox, player, and it supports most winamp plugins. I am using it to drive ASIO to SPDIF to my DAC.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.