OTL Asylum

My latest adventure with these amps had one OT blowing its internal fuselinks.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] Thread: [ Display  All  Email ] [ OTL Asylum ]

This Post Has Been Edited by the Author

My cockapooch and I were listening to music when WHAM!, something popped VERY loudly in the right channel and flashed brightly in the RH half of the right-channel amp. Of course we both jumped and she approached the amp, sniffing, but I called her back. The music continued playing and sounded fine, but I turned off that amp and visually checked the fuselinks in the 4 right-hand OTs. Found both fuselinks disappeared in one tube (see link below), replaced the tube with a spare, turned the amp on, rebalanced that amp after it warmed (and again hours later), and all is GOOD. In many output-tranformered amps, that tube blowing would have taken with it a large resistor on the board and junked a $50 - $100 tube; my spare OTs cost about $9 each, delivered, IIRC.

I've been merely listening to these amps and my system for a couple months; this summer, in spite of the desert heat in Phoenix, seems to be my season for buying, selling, and shooting pistols, punching paper and blowing up pesky waterjugs. :-)

The system sounds EXCELLENT, and I'm VERY happy I have these amps.

TYVM, Ralph!
----------
Tin-eared audiofool, large-scale-Classical music lover, and damned-amateur fotografer.
William Bruce Cameron: "...not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."

Follow Ups: