OTL Asylum

Ralph, TYVM. 'Twas a pleasure talking with you today. More on tube positions.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] Thread: [ Display  All  Email ] [ OTL Asylum ]

This Post Has Been Edited by the Author

Straight from the Ralph's mouth, about the M-60 Mk.3.3:
1. The old 'input tube', V1, is now two input tubes in parallel, labeled V1a and V1b. V1a is in the right-rear position (see picture) while V1b is at the left-rear. These two input tubes are physically separated by the...
2. Old and new V2 which I can never remember what to call this function--it's the Voltage-gain 'top' tube in the Mk.3.1 schematic I have. This is the rear-center tube and is the one that would be replaced with the gain-reduction plugs that A-S sells.
3. The good-old V4 cathode follower is in the front of the amp.

All of these in my amps are currently Tung-Sol roundplate 6SN7GTs. Those in the CF positions are my least-good tubes, low in transconductance and relatively high in microfonics--that are free of microfonic noise when tapped lightly with a pencil.
 photo 2016Apr19_R-ch w TSRPs amp Herbies dmprs_1800w_zpsnmltb43x.jpg

FWIW, even with only dozens of hours on new amps, new tubes, new Teflon-film coupling caps, etc., these amps have helped my system sound even better, particularly in transparency and spatial resolution. I'm very happy.
----------
Tin-eared audiofool, large-scale-Classical music lover, and damned-amateur fotografer.
William Bruce Cameron: "...not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."

Follow Ups: