Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

RE: Save money on Speaker wire Direct Drive- Bevridge

Hi Lew,

No, the amp in my equipment rack is the Wyetech Topaz 150lb behemoth SET. This is actually what I used to drive the line sources before the Direct Drive amp arrived. It is quite special.

The pic is "before" the direct drive - my room is a bit of a mess as I have been dropping the Beveridges for the hook up and doing other work so I did not show the current state. The direct drive as shown in the pic sits on the floor right now right in front of my rack. My room is just a little over 17' wide. Thus, I have high voltage silicone wire rated for 5KV as the hook up for the polarizing voltage. I notice no bad effects. At the old Audio Circle site Roger speaks about using his set up in the same way with runs of high voltage test probe wire.

Short runs with monos is safer for sure, and looks better. It doubles the cost. I don't think I would practically notice the difference. Check the link out for the "1/2 Drive" which was an attempt by Beveridge years ago to modify the Model 3's to DD. Roger's effort with me takes a simpler purer input all tube driver approach.

This couldn't be a commercial product unless it was caged and mono. I have no pets and the room is mine so my grown kids don't come down to fuss around and neither does my spouse.

These speakers are the exact same speakers I heard over 30 years ago at a local audio nut's home. I got wind of the sale - they were passed along to someone locally for over 25yrs - and I have them now. The left an impression on me 30years ago and I wanted to try them again - I have not forgotten the first time I heard them. I am glad I have the chance to restore and enjoy them for a while.

I will have to pick up some mylar- where did you get it? My panels look really good no delamination or aluminum erosion.

Thanks.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.