Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

Got the new couplings caps and load resistors installed...

...Wednesday evening and got the amps in the system and the system rebalanced (for their higher gain) last nite. Tonite, even after enjoying a fabulous concert of REAL music played by the excellent Phoenix Symphony Orchestra and with only about 30 hours on the amps and with too-long, lower-quality speaker and IC cables in the left channel, the system sounds GREAT! I'll be running these about 15 hours/day weekdays and 24-per on weekends until they get at least 500 hours on them.

The new coupling caps are very small (0.01uF) SoniCap Platinums driving new PRP load resistors of 390K for a high-pass filter of 42Hz. This will protect the otherwise-filterless MR drivers in my Serenity Super-7s.
 photo 2016Apr17_room w M60s_1800w_zpsvksl29bn.jpg
I'm THRILLED!

BTW I'm using Tung-Sol 'N7 roundplates in what I believe are Vs 1 and 3. I plan to use A-S's gain-reduction plugs in the V2 positions, and probably I'll select some low-testing TSRPs to use in the cathode-follower (V4) positions. Right now, the four TSRPs were selected for moderate transconductance and low microfonics.

Edits: 04/17/16

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Got the new couplings caps and load resistors installed... - jeffreybehr 01:24:01 04/17/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.