Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

balanced operation

I admit this can be a difficult concept to grasp, but please re-read what I wrote. It is not the case that "half the wave form" is lost in SE connections. This is not to say that I completely agree with Alan that there is nothing to be gained in home audio systems by using balanced connections. Perhaps Ralph can chime in with a more erudite discussion that will edify you

Its best if you think of an non-inverted signal and an inverted signal, rather than 'half the waveform' which only introduces confusion. IOW, both phases are being dealt with at the same time.

When you drive the MA-1 through the RCA input, the input is single-ended even if the source is balanced. Single-ended and balanced are inherently incompatible so you usually have to jump through some hoops to make the components work together- special adaptors, transformers and the like. But the thing you want to remember is that the signal is either balanced, or it isn't, no in-betweens.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.