Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

RE: Quad 57 and OTL

I have ESL57's for well over 20 years now, and run them with AtmaSphere M60's for 8 years. Before I had a number of really good amplifiers, both solid state and tube, but nothing comes close to the ESL/OTL combination. Particularly now that I also use the AtmaSphere MP3 preamp, I never have any thoughts of changing equipment anymore.
One thing that you will need to take care off: If the QUADs are still original, you can be sure that they are not working as they can and should. They will probably still sound great, but you'll miss out on top performance. A real refurbishment is not just the well known replacement of EHT units and panels, but also a replacement of the resistors in the crossover circuit. This is not widely known but after many years, these resistors have gone out of spec by 10-15% which has a big effect on the sound.
I have no experience with Transcendent, but definitely can recommend the AtmaSphere amplifiers with ESL57's. It is a match made in heaven.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Quad 57 and OTL - powolny 16:33:55 04/04/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.