Home OTL Asylum

OTL, Output Transformerless Amplifier User Group.

ok, ok, ok....

But if i look at tyu's diagram the black lead goes to the - terminal of the input and the center, in my case orange is the positive... I had the green terminal going to the - because it was in the same location as my old one. so today i reversed the order swapped black to green and yellow to blue. that would reverse the order of the leads...I stil have the distortion, even with the Ma-1. I isolated it to the bass section. So I either already blown something, or the distortion is caused by something else. But what could it be? And why would having the the 8 ohm resistor in the circuit would make it not noticeable, or am i going deaf? This is about as maddening as it can be :). So before i keep murdering stuff, does anybody have the color coding for the bass transformers? The old ones are wired correctly because those are the factory things. I know the that the red and the black wire are the primary side because on the secondary side i have 3 big terminals encased in some insulator plastic. on the old transformers. the new ones are just three leads coming out from the other side of the transformer.

Based on what i am experiencing, maybe the old bass transformer is fine too, something else is giving me fits. I am not not about to start swapping things between the tow backplanes, i find that hit and miss approach to dangerous when dealing with high voltages. Is there a more systematic approach to track this down?

Here is the where i am sitting.

I modified one back plate only. I disconnected the 8 ohm resistor, if i hook up the bass section only to either of the amps, MA-1 or the SS amp with the i get distortion. I have not moved the backplate to the other panel. Based on tyu's diagram i think i had the bass transformer reversed. I swapped black and green, yellow and blue. So right now the input of the bass is between black -and orange+, used to be green - and orange +. Distortion is still the same.

Do i have something blown in the mixer? Do i have a blown toroid? Am i just insane? Ok the last one has a trivial answer, but still, this is nuts?

So i have a fine mess on my hands :)

dee
;-D
True terror is to wake up one morning and discover that your high school class is running the country.

quote by Kurt Vonnegut

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.