Home MagneQuest/Peerless Forum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Re: Like so Mike? Parafeed compact 2A3

Hi Thorsten:

A late welcome and thanks for your post.

Where to put the dc blocking caps and what value to use could/would put us into a long thread and require more time from me than I can devote to the subject at this particular point in time.

The points I make below are subjective comments of my own... and should not be taken as gospel or, necessarily, propel us into a long thread. This said;

Allow me to point out that... even two caps of 5 to 6 mics in value is far less "capacitor" than the 40 to 80 mic caps that folks use in series feed arrangements to try to mimic or mirror ONE of the benefits of parallel feed. So... even if we count cap size (in microfarads) as a basis of quality then two 5 mic caps should "win" out the day... I think you might agree to this.

another quick point.... re: an illness known as capacitor-i-tis. Many DIY practioners will go out of their way to minimize the capacitor's value... beleiving it to moreso "removes" or make "invisable" the presence of the dreaded capacitor.... but.... ironically.... Mr. Murphy makes the effect just exactly the opposite.... the smaller the dc blocking cap value (all other things being equal) the moreso it's presence (electrically) is pushed further up into the audio range... if you really want to get the resonance point of the L and C down below the audio range.... and push it down even further.... then use more C not less.... more "c" makes the C moreso "disappear" electrically not less C.

I hope you C what I am saying :=)

Mike

P.S. as an aside... I don't buy into the capacitors are evil or resistors are evil or any such notion. I just always figure I have three things in my electronic tool/trick box to work with... capacitance, inductance and resistance... and getting a circuit to work well and sound great means using each of these three magic building blocks when and where they will work the best... none are inherently good or bad, evil or meritorious.... each can be used poorly or well.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.