Home Isolation Ward

From ebony pucks to magic foil, mystical and controversial tweaks.

RE: quantum dots

The book makes a difference between quantum wells, quantum wires and quantum dots.

The wires and dots can emit various spectra, with the wells being utilized for most of the commercial laser pointers we see on the market where by visible light is emitted from the top layer of the PNP junction. The Quantum wire can emit much more powerful spectra, well beyond the visible spectra and the spectra is emitted from the center portion of the PNP wafer, The N portion of the wafer The dots can be made small enough to involve de Broglie wavelength energy from the electrons captured in the wafer but my guess is that they could be made large enough to emit visible light. However, the author makes the distinction that the dots have the N layer holding the electrons and the P layer sandwich creating the boundaries for those electrons.

The wavelengths you mention seem to span the visible yellow to red spectra. It's amazing the tightness with which you could tune those frequencies. The doping necessary to fabricate them must have been incredibly small but even, in order to achieve that kind of commercial QC.

Stu

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.