Home Isolation Ward

From ebony pucks to magic foil, mystical and controversial tweaks.

RE: "So, Clark, I ask you." And ye shall be answered.

Let us have a look at the explanation to do with 'static'.

If you want to say that "Of course, getting an improvement in the sound by applying such as a hand cream to the label side of a CD is because the hand cream (the chemical) is 'dealing with' static build up on the disc." - then you have to describe just what had been happening to the digital information encoded on the disc BEFORE applying the hand cream (chemical). You have to try to explain just why you had not been able to 'hear' this additional information (giving the improved sound) prior to applying the hand cream (chemical).

Was the build up of static on the CD not allowing the laser beam to read all the digital information correctly ? If the laser beam WAS actually reading the digital information perfectly correctly then where else in the CD player was this information (which had already been read correctly by the laser beam) being adversely affected by the static build up on the CD ? Then, when you feel you have successfully explained that, this same explanation has to also be relevant for applying the same chemical to a PASSIVE CD - not playing and not in the CD machine and getting a similar improvement in the sound !!

Before I go any further let me explain what I mean by 'having improved sound' due to being able to hear additional information. I mean the working memory receiving additional information which allows it to create a better 'sound picture' to present to the brain. The better 'sound picture' being greater height, greater depth, greater width, better separation of instruments, better resolution etc.

Back to the subject of the Nordost chemical which is also claimed to be dealing with the build up of static. All the same questions asked above regarding CDs apply to the claim that applying the Nordost chemical to the label side of CDs gives an improvement in the sound because the Nordost chemical is claimed to be 'dealing with the problem of static'.

Similar questions have to be asked regarding the claim by Nordost that applying their chemical to the LABELS of vinyl records gives an improvement in the sound (because the chemical is 'dealing with the problem of static build up'). Prior to applying the Nordost chemical what was preventing this additional information being read/picked up by the stylus ? If the stylus WAS reading/picking up this additional information from the vinyl record perfectly adequately, then where else on the turntable/cartridge/pick up arm was this additional information being adversely affected by this problem of 'static'?

Now to the question of applying the Nordost chemical to the outer insulation of audio cables. Nordost claim that by applying their chemical to the outer insulation of audio cables, one can gain improved sound because there is a build up of static on the outside of a cable which is adversely affecting the audio signal travelling along the cable and their chemical 'deals with' this problem of build up of static. One has to ask the question "How, exactly, is this static on the outer insulation of cables having an adverse effect on the audio signal travelling along the audio cable ?" When you think you might have adequately explained that, then this same explanation has to explain how applying the same chemical to the outer insulation of a PASSIVE cable gives a similar improvement in the sound !!

All the claims so far have been about information stored on CDs or vinyl records and about the audio signal travelling along cables being adversely affected by 'static'. But, now we come to an even stranger claim. Nordost claim that applying their chemical to the outer insulation of AC power cables ALSO gives an improvement in the sound. That their chemical 'deals with' the static build up on AC power cables. One has to ask the question "How is a build up of static on an AC power cable having an adverse effect on either the information stored on a CD or vinyl record or travelling along an audio cable - when there is NO audio signal travelling along an AC power cord. Just what is being affected inside the AC power cord by a build up of static on it's outer insulation - which then, in turn, affects the 'sound' ?"

Even stranger. If you apply the Nordost chemical to the outer insulation of (say) the AC power cord of the electric clock on the shelf or to a PASSIVE AC power cord just dangling from the table lamp (the AC power cord on the table lamp NOT connected into the AC supply socket) you will get a similar improvement in the sound as you got from 'treating' the cables belonging to the working audio system !!!!! Explain THAT !! Explain how any 'build up of static' on the power cable of the table lamp can be affecting the 'sound'.

Even stranger still. If you apply the Nordost chemical to the outer insulation of (say) the AC power cord of the electric food mixer, stored in the kitchen, you will experience a similar further improvement in the sound in the listening room. Explain how any 'build up of static' on the power cord of the food mixer in the kitchen can be affecting the 'sound'.

I repeat. I am NOT challenging Nordost's (or other people's) observations that they have heard improvement in the sound by doing the treatments described. I am challenging the explanation that "it is to do with static". If this leaves many people with observations but without adequate (conventional) explanations then so be it - it will not be the first time in the history of science that this has happened !!

To be continued.

Regards,
May Belt.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: "So, Clark, I ask you." And ye shall be answered. - May Belt 08:01:57 07/25/07 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.