Home Isolation Ward

From ebony pucks to magic foil, mystical and controversial tweaks.

RE: Basic physics

Any piece of wire is an antenna. What can it receive? RF is the most obvious culprit.

I have a Hungarian friend who on occasion posts here. He tells me the household electricity in Hungary is much better than in America because there is no real audible change from day to evening as is common in the US. I then asked him if there were a lot of wireless appliances in Hungary and the answer of course was no. and there in lies a significant difference in the power grid of both countries. Ours is polluted by wireless appliances and digital related gear. A lot of RF rides on our grid. That RF pervades the environment in which we have installed electricity.

However, IMHE most extra gear actually deteriorates the sound in the room with playing gear. The large face plates are not conducive to good sound. The additional metal is also not so pleasant being a hard reflective surface (or plastic face plates for that matter). Weighing down a lightweight chassis can also reduce sympathetic vibrations emanating from that appliance, also.

You wonder why most dealers have tons of gear stacked around: simple, they have to move the stuff out. Out of sight=out of mind, not good in sales. AS for the reviewers , I suspect that they are just lazy, being human after all. Linn way back in the 80's was a strong advocate of single speaker demos and many Linn dealers followed suit.

I just returned from a home of an electrical engineer, spending some time in tuning his system. Interestingly, I learned a few things from him. He had small coils of wire placed strategically through out the room and he told me that the room sounded better when he did so. Again, I suspect RF absorption (the wires are not terminated or connected to anything).

Another customer who was plagued with RF on his TT reported that all his RF disappeared one day when he coiled up an experimental interconnect on top of his preamp. Removing the wire caused the RF to return.

Now you can claim that it is due to the removal of adverse energy, but I would rather call it simple reduction in RF.

Stu

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Basic physics - unclestu52 22:17:12 07/01/07 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.