Home Isolation Ward

From ebony pucks to magic foil, mystical and controversial tweaks.

a few comments (long)

First, I try not to post anything on tweaks, or products I have not personally tried for myself. I have not tried nor analyzed your electret cream so I will not comment nor even attempt any intellectual exercise as to their function, because it would be patently unfair to assess judgement with out experimentation, both on my part and for your sake (in order to be truly objective).

In the case of the Shaktis, VPI bricks, and even the Shun Mook discs I have fairly extensive experience with them all and have analyzed, x-rayed, and even taken them apart to examine their inner workings. Ben Piazza of Shakti has a patent on his designs. The workings and explanations definitely lie in the realm of hard basic science.

Now my reference to things like Chi does not mean that I believe that this force is something mystical. There is a science behind it even though we may not understand the true causality as of yet. I try to keep my thinking open even though I may lack the instrumentation or the procedure to measure exactly what is going on.

Again please do not infer that because I say one thing about a VPI brick, and I must add I have talked to Harry Weisfield about the product, that my comments must necessarily reflect on all the products that you manufacture. My comments are purely about the product specifically mentioned.

The only product of yours that I have analyzed is a piece of the 'rainbow foil'. I find that I can duplicate it's effect on my own and extremely cheaply, I may add, but I do not print what process I employ (you may have some other process, but IMHE, the effect is the same or at least 99% as effective, at least judging from a comparison to a sample a friend obtained from your company) because I feel, ethically, it would be unfair for your company and father who have first brought it to attention.

Here, I suspect the foil is actually working on small amounts of RF and the foil itself is acting almost as a constrained layer dampening for the RF absorbed, dissipating that energy absorbed. The amounts are very small, but can be noticeable to at least a few individuals (sensitivities and awareness vary widely, as you well know).

The experimentation with placement and such convince me so, although I lack the instrumentation to verify this. In addition, a customer who lives in a high rise apartment facing several radio and television transmitting towers reports a complete reduction of RF on his TT after installing an aluminized mylar window tint. The process to manufacture the window tint is similar to the one used for the foil.

I use the word maybe in speaking of natural substances, because, quite simply I have not tried everything out there. Since the statement implies an assumption on my part, I would rather not be so dogmatic about it veracity.

If you have experimented with the Combak (Enacom) plastic stick ons which you place in the corners of a room you will understand what I mean about acoustics. It works in a similar manner to the Corner tunes Mike Green sells but is much, much smaller and thus significantly more unobtrusive.

I took a more direct approach and simply eliminated the corners of my older sound room using drywall. The effects are extremely similar, but obviously an A-B comparison is not really possible.

I am very much aware of the change in properties imparted by dye lots, which essentially are contaminants. I have made numerous posts about the color of electrical insulation, and the changes in both electrical and mechanical properties imparted by the dye lots. The same observations also apply to your advocating, what was it?, red zip ties. Again I do not post any thing about increasing the effect out of respect to your original research. as it were.

I make no claim about being first in the matter of dye lots, as Stan Warren pointed this factor out to me almost 20 years ago. I struggled with the concept and an explanation for many years until a painter pointed out to me that most paints are bases to which dye lots are added. He then proceeded to detail the chemical composition of those dye lots.

Mysteries are that until a logical explanation can be found and then experimented with to verify. In the case of the wire, I found a manufacturer who was willing to provide samples in various colors (8, IIRC), and helped my experimentation significantly, particularly since the insulation all used the same base plastic.

Now, I firmly believe that while science may not have all the explanations readily at hand, it can be applied in order to understand the workings of many things. It may not be as romantic, but for the most part, it is not mystical. Again, I have not examined, nor do I claim to be an expert in all things, so I can not say anything definitively. I can make some generalizations, but that may not be universally applicable as I have not tried everything out there.

The one thing that is amazing, is that human sensitivities can be trained, and recognition and awareness can be enhanced, if you desire it. You can not conceptualize riding a bicycle and simply jump on one and expect to ride like a pro. The same applies with something like drinking a mug of beer: it is only after a lot of practice will you discern differences in taste and such. If that is what you mean in terms of 'affecting your mind', then we are on the same page.

Stu

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • a few comments (long) - unclestu52 11:40:49 07/01/07 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.