Home Isolation Ward

From ebony pucks to magic foil, mystical and controversial tweaks.

True polycarbonate

is shatterproof, hence its use in 'bulletproof' glass. I have dropped a few CD's and have had them crack: a clear indication that manufacturers are using far cheaper materials in CD manufacture. Among other properties, (high electrical resistance, part of the reason that plastic caps for binding posts were originally made using polycarbonate) polycarbonate when pressure is applied normally does not turn white as normal plastics do. The 'soft' nature of polycarbonate simply 'gives and leaves a relatively smooth, clear impression making it easier for the laser to track through small imperfections.

Styrofoam has high amounts of static, check out those 'peanuts' your shippers use. Foam, which I wrote, can be fabricated from many different materials with various properties.

In general, natural substances work better acoustically than synthetics, Maybe its because they are generally neutral electrically, but also because they have a certain amount of 'randomness'. Synthetic fibers tend to be mono filaments of identical diameters: natural silk and cotton, for example, will have slight but important unit to unit variations.

Stu

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.