Home Isolation Ward

From ebony pucks to magic foil, mystical and controversial tweaks.

RE: So... Styrofoam bad, Felt good!

I love these kinds of questions, so I'll pretend you're sincerely interested and give it a shot, in my own opinions.

>>How about a short list, say twenty common household items with their "adversity" levels enumerated? <<

Would you like that double-spaced, and on heavy bond or will foolscap do? Should the enumeration be in roman numerals or arabic? I'll have my research team draw that up to your specifications, but in the meantime, let's just say that magnets, ferrite rings, batteries and bleach would be somewhere near the top of the list.

>>How does PVC compare with Polycarbonate?

Find out for yourself. Place a small piece of PVC on a compact disk (outside of a cd player), and then compare with a small piece of polycarbonate (if you don't have one handy, just smash a Celine Dion cd, and use one of the fragments. In doing so, you'll be advancing both audio research and the world of music). If you can hear differences, I think you'll probably find they both do sucky things to your sound.

>>Are there actually any beneficial things that we can strew about to help reduce the overall adversity? <<

Yes, actually. There are about a hundred of them here: www.belt.demon.co.uk

>>And how does distance affect adversity? To be safe, do adverse items need to be a meter away? In the closet? In the next room? In the driveway?<<

Do I get to move on to the next level if I get the answer right? I pick: the driveway (to be perfectly safe). But not the -car- in the driveway, no. Otherwise, imperfectly safe requires you remove the offending material from the listening room.

>>Speaking of removal, how do you tote up the layer count of bonded material such as plywood and other laminates? <<

Odd good, even bad. Except in cases where it's odd bad, even good. How to tell which in the case of plywood? Well that's easy. Simply unbond the layers. I suggest using a high-powered laser for greater accuracy. Then once you've done that, you simply listen with one layer removed, and then replace the layer, to see which wins out. After the test, just rebond the layers. (I suggest using a high compression pressing machine, such as can be found in any auto manufacturing plant, and I recommend using the same industrial glue as was originally used in your plywood. Otherwise you may not meet up to the manufacturer's original specifications, which could void the warranty for the plywood, and/or decrease the performance).

"silence tells me secretly, everything..."

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.