Home Isolation Ward

From ebony pucks to magic foil, mystical and controversial tweaks.

RE: I have four bricks

Quote from unclestu52:-
>>> "You guys are attemting to mystify a perfectly normal and explainable phenomena. Basic physics are employed here, no mysticism. If you want to verify the magnetic affect place a thick spacer of styro foam between the brick and the chassia and the effect will diminish, since magnetic field strength is also affected by distance. The weight is nearly the same, eliminating that factor. Or use an equivalent red brick if you really want to check." <<<

Of course placing a thick spacer of styro foam between the brick and the chassis will change the effect. You have added another layer. AND, in addition, you have added a material (a foam made of a specific chemical mixture) which we (human beings) react adversely to. To prove this, all you have to do is to place similar pieces of styro foam on top of all manner of other equipment and you will experience the same adverse effect on the sound !!! The more pieces of styro foam you have in the environment, the worse will be your sound !!

If you want to experiment with layers under the 'brick' to try to show distance away from the (supposed) problem, then use layers of felt. Place one layer of thick felt and yes, you will most likely hear a deterioration in the sound but then place a second layer of thick felt and the 'good' sound will be back - even though you are now further distance away from the (supposed) problem. Place a third layer of thick felt and the sound will be perceived as worse again until you either remove the third layer or add a fourth layer - giving even further distance !!
I am not saying that there is NO stray magnetic field around equipment - what I am saying is that if you are prepared to do enough experiments, you will find that the effect of the 'brick' has nothing to do with 'an effect on the audio signal' !!!

You are correct that the effect of the brick has nothing to do with it's weight - that is why I described doing the experiment of placing it on top of an identical but PASSIVE piece of equipment. The effect on the sound will be the same as when it was placed on top of a working piece of equipment i.e an improvement in the sound - even though there is no audio signal going through the passive equipment !!!

But, you are not correct when you say that 'basic physics are employed here'.
Are you claiming that without the 'brick' on top of the (say) amplifier, stray magnetic fields are having an adverse effect on the audio signal but with the 'brick' in place the stray magnetic fields are being 'dealt with' (absorbed ?, flipped ?, changed ?) so that they are no longer having an adverse effect on the audio signal ?
If this was the case, then any such changes to the audio signal would surely be able to be measured - and if there were such measurements as proof, surely those measurements would be shouted from the rooftops by the producers of the 'brick' !!! And, therefore, following from that proof, no equipment would then be sold WITHOUT a 'brick' !!

The more experiments you are prepared to do, the less the explanations of weight or magnetism hold water !! So, as I have said many times. You are left with (correct) observations i.e that the 'sound' has changed, but with no explanations !!

Regards,
May Belt.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.