Home Isolation Ward

From ebony pucks to magic foil, mystical and controversial tweaks.

Stereophile blind tests = rare..... 62% reporting "differences" when amps are compared with themselves = news

This was Stereophile, so the components were high-end and the participants were GOLDEN EARS.

I assume Atkinson ran the test, and since he has written here that 30% of blind tests he's participated in had improper test methodolgies, that must mean he is a world-class expert on blind test methodology.

How could there possibly be a better test?

People forget that half the comparisons in any blind test are of a component compared with itself.

It's most interesting that the Stereophile GOLDEN EARS, when comparing an amplifier with itself, said they heard differences 62% of the time!

Seems like GOLDEN EARS have a stong bias toward reporting differences when none are possible.

That's important to consider when you compare two components ... especially when they play music at different SPL's (almost always in sighted comparisons).

It's very interesting how GOLDEN EARS like you think they know what a stereo sounds like by reading a component list!

Don't have to listen to the stereo.

Don't even need experience with any of the components in other rooms.

Just need to read a components list and let your EXPECTATIONS tell you the stereo is "mid-fi", whatever that means.

I appreciate the "decididly mid-fi equipment" comment because it so clearly points out that audiophiles think they can judge sound quality by reading a component list.

No need for double-blind auditions.

No need for single-blind auditions.

No need for auditions at all.

Just read a component list and immediately decide if the owner has the "right" brands and has spent "enough" money on the components.

By the way, my double-blind wire test used a much better stereo than I own. I didn't say I did all my tests at home.

Richard BassNut Greene
Subjective Audiophile 2007

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.