Home Isolation Ward

From ebony pucks to magic foil, mystical and controversial tweaks.

Perhaps some are wondering why our pedantic objectivist neglected to

provide a link to the documentation for this particular test that he never tires of parading out, i.e.:

"In the Stereophile blind amplifier test (for one example a Golden Ear might actually read without launching the usual junkyard dog test methodology attacks and participant character attacks) when an amplifier was compared with itself (A vs. A ... or B vs. B) the "Golden Ear" participants said they heard differences in 62% of those trials when no differences were possible!"

Well the "Golden Ear" participants were actually visitors to a trade show and as for the listening environment we have:

"The room available to us at the show venue, the Dunfey San Mateo hotel, could hold about 55 seated people without crowding; as it turned out, the tests were so popular that we had to squeeze in additional people who were content to stand or sit on the floor (footnote 4). As then only about 10% of the listeners would have received any semblance of a stereo soundfield and the room was particularly lively, especially in the upper midrange and treble, differences in soundstaging performance between the test amplifiers would not have contributed to any subjective differences, I felt. In addition, there was often a problem with breakthrough from the adjacent room, despite Jeff Rowland keeping his sound pressures to mainly reasonable levels."

Mind you I shouldn't complain after all I always do my critical listening in an unfamiliar room with 50-60 odd strangers... alternatives such as sitting in sweet spot in my own room with my own system, or something similar listening to a friends' system, well they just ain't scientific, certainly nothing near the ideal setting such as the Stereophile/Golden Ears test described above!

---

Pretty sad that this is the best the poor fool can come up with... Ah well one can only work with what they got!

No Guru, No Method, No Teacher

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Perhaps some are wondering why our pedantic objectivist neglected to - bjh 12:29:05 07/01/07 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.