Home Isolation Ward

From ebony pucks to magic foil, mystical and controversial tweaks.

Toroids

generate a doughnut shaped field. Placing a flat piece of ferrous metal over and centered on a toroidal transformer will actually screw up the normal field, channeling the field form the egdes towards the middle and having them in direct oppostition to each other. You need a hole in the middle to allow the field to drop through, or alternatiely you could use two bricks on either side of the cneter.

I actually use large toroids (unmagnetised speaker magnet material) to very good effect over toroidal fields. Since the fields decrease in strength with distance, placement closer to the source is always of greater benefit.

Try placing toroids over, or under, motor assemblies: your TT motor, or your CD/DVD player spin motors. The sonic improvement can be quite dramatic.

For toroidal transformers, again remove the center bolt holding down tha transformer and replace it with a nylon equivalent. You will hear a more relaxed presentation, and a quickness to the music, with a larger soundstage.

I remember playing a very power hungry speaker with a large amp, and then opening up the crossover to examine the parts. I nearly burned my finger when I touched the bolt holding the air core inductor to the wooden case. The field dropping through the center of the coil was inducing current flow and with no where to go simply generated a lot of heat.

Early on, I purchased some Mu metal and did some experimentation with it. You can actually increase the size of the field by extending the mu metal way over the edges of the magnetic source. That's not necessarily a good thing. Placement and application is quite critical for best results.

Stu

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Toroids - unclestu52 12:07:03 06/30/07 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.