Home Isolation Ward

From ebony pucks to magic foil, mystical and controversial tweaks.

RE: Test of Once-Removed Theory

Interesting! I took a few minutes to do a brief test on this theory, as I had not heard of it before. Here are my findings:

SYSTEM:

Well, my audio system is not installed presently, so I decided to use the top of my computer for the test location, since it was conveniently located right next to your post. I played an mp3 on the computer (JJ Cale's "Devil In Disguise", if anyone cares), listening through a pair of portable player headphones. The materials I used was a Ziploc bag (with the Ziploc brand stamped on it), and an iron bar, about 6" long x 1" wide and maybe a 1/4" thick.

- First, I listened to the system without "installing" anything, which I often do to hear what the system currently sounds like. (Although I should say, the first time you listen is -always- the best, and indeed this test was no exception).

- Next, I placed the empty Ziploc bag on top of the computer. Expecting the sound to worsen without fail (I already know what Ziploc bags sound like....), I was surprised to see this was not necessarily the case! While the Ziploc bag clearly degraded the overall quality of the sound (things collapsing, transients dulling, etc), the core of the sound had me transfixed. I could tell that even while things were degrading all around, "musicality" (a key aspect to music reproduction!), had gotten better. My being didn't mind the degradation, it was too busy enjoying the increased musicality.

- Next, the iron bar alone on top of the computer. This degraded the sound, nuff said.

- Next, the iron bar inside the Ziploc bag, with the bag sealed. It took me a minute, but I had to conclude you were right. This sound seemed to bear no relation to the sound of the bag alone or the bar alone. It was a "duller" sound than all the previous changes (including the original sound with nothing), because HF was not as bright, but there was more information now, soundstage got larger, and the confirmation of an improvement came from a stronger connection to the musical message than the iron bar alone. I realize most people would prefer this sound to that of the bag alone. But was it more "musical" than the bag alone? I listened again to just the bag, and again, confirmed that it did add additional "magic" to the musical message, though I hesitate to say "more", and would rather say "they're different".

CONCLUSION: You may be right about VPI. EMI is the pet theory of both the company and any technically-minded person who advocates this tweak, but it may have nothing to do with it. Myself, I always thought it was the weight. "Back in the day", when this thing was more popular, I tried heavy weights, like bricks (not the magic kind, alas), on top of my amp. Did improve the sound (ie. timbre gets sharper), but eventually, I found weights on top of equipment screwed up the soundstage, and in general, the sound. But could it be working on a combination of EMI filtering, dead weight (resonance tuning) and Beltist principle? Whatever, I would have to say now that there's definitely something Beltist to the operation of the VPI bricks, as the product does fit the once-removed theory.

It occurs to me that if everyone other than me were allergic to Kryptonite (tm), then we would all have greatly improved audio systems by simply placing a stick of it inside a plastic bag.....

Objective Audiophile 2007

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.